Wednesday 11 March 2015

2 Weeks, 3 Cities

I find it rather funny how, although the year abroad is essentially 10 months of being in another country to improve your target language, as soon as a weeks holiday comes around the whole of the Erasmus population of said country swiftly departs to explore anywhere else in Europe BUT country with target language. So, being the very cliché of this observation, the onset of a mid term holiday meant that it was time to flee Aix for a week (or a week and a half... what lectures?)  Queue further disappearance of Erasmus grant to various flight/bus operators, hostels and extravagant air b'n'b apartments.

Barcelona was the first stop; for no other reason than the fact that I had loved it so much the first time. Being able to enjoy the city for the second time, without feeling like I had to tick off all of the tourist monuments, was something to be appreciated. Riding around the city on a bike in the glorious 18 degree weather wasn't half bad either. Something that I have indefinitely observed in my travels this year, is how expensive a city break can be, even if your flights and hostel seem to account to nothing. FOOD is the culprit. So, for anyone looking to visit Barcelona I have a few suggestions: I was lucky enough to visit Barcelona for the second time with someone who lives in Spain (albeit not Barcelona itself), and thus was familiar with some good, local deals. Visit one of a few of Barcelona's 'Cerveceria 100 Montaditos' on a Wednesday or a Sunday- every plate of food is 1 euro (kind of like a tapas version of subway/mcdonalds merged together- but slightly better and probably less undesirables added). But to be frank, a tankard of beer is also a euro so there is no complaining to be had. Cheap and cheerful, slightly characterless but nonetheless quick and easy. Pick your order, write it on a piece of paper and bring it to the till. Just like ikea, but less depressing seeing as the end result is edible and not a flat pack mess of wood and nails. However, no idea what I was ordering due to absolutely no chuffing idea what anything is in Catalan.

We were lucky enough to come across an incredibly good (and cheap) hostel, which had been newly refurbished and was quite frankly, bloody cool as far as hostels go.  http://www.santjordihostels.com/sant-jordi-hostel-rock-palace/ 5 minutes from La Rambla, and 10 from La Sagrada Familia, helpful staff, comfy beds and cheap meals every night (Burritos, hot-dogs- nearly every night has a different meal)  - and not to forget 'Party boy David' who, quite frankly, I can't really put into words. I really would recommend. (Also, roof top pool.)

[caption id="attachment_374" align="aligncenter" width="660"]DSCN0773 Gaudi's Casa Batlló. A little pricey at 18 euros for entry, but SO incredibly worth a visit. The architecture is incredible, as is the view of the city from the roof.[/caption]

DSCN0724DSCN0730

DSCN0744


DSCN0754


DSCN0758


DSCN0807


DSCN0816


DSCN0817


DSCN0820


DSCN0825


DSCN0835




[caption id="attachment_418" align="aligncenter" width="660"]barca 3 Impossible to be unhappy whilst riding a bike around sunny Barcelona.[/caption]

DSCN0840

barca

A city that I will never grow tired of visiting.


A week of little sleep, too much beer and too much money spent- off to Berlin, for less sleep and more beer.

Berlin is somewhere I have always wanted to visit, and where I had once decided that I'd never been somewhere and loved it as much as I had Barcelona- Berlin chucked that fish out of the water and stamped all over it. Incredible buildings with a wealth of history, an incredibly diverse city different to any that I have visited before, and of course not to forget an abundance of grilled halloumi and cheap beer. Queue instant regret of deciding at the age of 13 that German was a horrible language and I'd never want to venture there. I can confirm that 13 year old me was stupid and knew nothing, and also should have realised that wearing foundation on your lips was not a good look either.

As anticipated; left Berlin having seen a lot of pretty buildings, having drunk too much beer and consequently having slept for a grand total of around 7 hours. Feeling incredibly uncool for the whole weekend due to being surrounded by (surprisingly, to me) potentially the most well dressed city I have ever visited. A few things I had not anticipated; wishing I was German (numerous times), really REALLY not wanting to leave, and consequently having had one of the best weekends to date.

DSCN0859 DSCN0860 DSCN0861 DSCN0863 DSCN0871 DSCN0875 DSCN0881 DSCN0888 DSCN0895berlin 5berlin 4BERLINBERLIN2berlin 3

All taken into account, I left Berlin very (very very very very) tired and SO ready to run a half marathon in a week. Oh, wait...

Yes, the half-marathon was exactly a week after I returned from a week of too much fun, too much food and having said; 'oh I'll be fine!' too many times. But what can you do, when faced with a predicament like this? Sleep deprived, riddled with severe holiday blues, and potentially having reverted all of the progress you made training for the past 4 months. VEGETABLES! I decided to deprive myself of fun for a week, train hard for the final stretch and eat a lot of green food. And hey, as if by miracle... I finished the half marathon. In 2 hours and 17 minutes (13 minutes quicker than my target, might I add) Bloody chuffed to say the least. Not to mention that this venture allowed for the last leg of my 3 city tour; a weekend in Paris. We found an apartment on air b'n'b, a concept which I believe is becoming more and more popular as of late. A small, but quaint apartment in the 2eme Arrondissement (cute balcony included) which happened to be right next to a road full of street food, restaurants and lively bars. Said street food being http://www.monthai.fr/- a small restaurant/ take away, which served some of the best Pad Thai I've had in a while, and for only 9 euros. A slight fraction of some of the 20 euro meals offered along the same street. Somehow, and despite having frequented Disney as a child who truly believed I was the next princess to be cast, I had never actually visited Paris before and so Saturday served as a whirlwind tour of the city. La Tour Eiffel, Notre Dame, Champs Elysées, Arc de Triomphe... No shame in playing tourist for a while. I was also brought to Angelina's, a Maison de Thé/ patisserie apparently frequented by Coco Chanel, with big claims of serving the best hot chocolate that my friend had ever tried. I can confirm that this is indeed true, but it will set you back 8 euros if you want to sit inside and experience the beautiful building fully, or equally a hefty 5 euros to take it away. I would however, although hesitant, say that it is worth the price.

DSCN0902 DSCN0906 DSCN0909 DSCN0916 DSCN0922 DSCN0941 DSCN0935 DSCN0942 DSCN0947 DSCN0954 DSCN0956 DSCN0960 DSCN0967 DSCN0975 DSCN0987

2 weeks, 3 countries and probably an inexplicable amount of money poorer. Still in disbelief that I ran a half marathon, actually enjoyed it, and finished in little to no pain (minus a hefty blister).

A x

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing couple of weeks! Barcelona is my absolute favourite city in the summer! Where did you take the pictures of the blue tiled walls and white walkway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah me too- so beautiful in the summer! They were taken at Gaudi's Casa Battló. Well worth a visit if you haven't already been; the architecture is amazing and there's a rooftop with a view of the whole city

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Gaudi...it's definitely on my to do list next time I'm in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah me too. I didn't go the first time around cause it's fairly pricey but I'm glad I did go the second time! Did you visit Park Guell?

    ReplyDelete