Wednesday 11 March 2015

Hel-lo Quebec

I've come to realise through the years, and particularly whilst being in France, that I am very much an all-or-nothing type of person. I don't like to do things half heartedly; I like to see things through. After much anticipation, changing my mind numerous times and considering many weird and wonderful things, I decided to sign up to Au Pair World, a website which allows you to create a profile and then search for families in your chosen country who are looking for an au pair. After emailing numerous families, finding one in Paris who were perfect and then forgetting to email them back and them finding another au pair (cue sad heart-break music), I finally found another family who seemed friendly, very keen and interesting. But of course, low and behold, I had decided somewhere along the way that France might be boring- hell, I can go to France whenever. So, here we have it; as of June I'm off to... Quebec!

I'm sure I have previously mentioned my lack of geographical prowess.I study literature, and whilst I'm not saying that literature students lack said knowledge, for me humanities was always the vocation of choice, because quick frankly my geographical knowledge is, well, embarrassing. I'm not really sure what happened...I feel like the system let me down somewhere along the line.

Low and behold, my lack of said intelligence also failed to remind me quite how far Canada actually is.

Map_of_Canada

Of course, with Quebec comes the undeniable and somewhat fear-instilling prospect of Quebecois French. As someone who has inevitably learnt French through either English speakers whom have mimicked the French accent from having spent time in mainland France, or from native French speakers themselves, the prospect of being surrounded by Canadian French is slightly terrifying. On verra, nothing like a challenge eh...

No comments:

Post a Comment