Wednesday 11 March 2015

Bilbo Baggins defeats Smaug and finds Arles.

After what seemed like heroic a quest for the Lonely Mountain and Smaug's gold (or in other words a few wrong buses) ending up in a day trip to Port 'pit of the earth' Saint Louis, somewhat resemblant of Mirkwood, I feared that I would never make it to Arles. A historic town in the South of France, once used by Roman Emperors as a headquarters during military campaigns and a pertinent cultural and religious centre during the late Roman Empire. I had heard of its wonderful architecture, including a Roman amphitheatre; somewhat strange to come across in the South of France. We are indeed very lucky to have a town with such a rich and intriguing history only a few hours away. I did however vow never again to attempt the treacherous journey. However, turns out that you can in fact jump on a bus from Aix which takes you directly to Arles in around 1h40 mins. I think i'll scrap my plans to become an explorer, and stick to the day job.

DSCN0707[1]

DSCN0650[1]

DSCN0649[1]

DSCN0638[1]

DSCN0635[1]

DSCN0632[1]

DSCN0614[1]

DSCN0678[1]

DSCN0702[1]

One to tick off the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment