Monday 8 December 2014

What are you grateful for?

Thankful+Word+Banner+{Decor+and+the+Dog}

It probably won't come as a surprise when I say that being almost 300 miles from home means that every once in a while you start to think about how much you appreciate its comforts and the people that you left behind. Everything, as a memory, becomes idyllic and nostalgic and it's hard to even remember what you could have possibly ever moaned about. Woe is life. Even the inherently evil teacher who gave you a D on your homework in year 9 becomes an angel in disguise; 'Oh, well I'm sure she was just looking out for my best interests! What a nice lady...'

Okay, that is a lie. I will never forgive my maths teacher of year 9- let's call her mrs A- for giving me constant bad grades just because I liked throwing stuff at her and writing 'I hate maths' on all of my work.

mean girls

I jest. However, it is indeed fact that being away for almost 4 months (my longest 'sejour' to date), brings with it a new appreciation for the simple things, which we take for granted every day.

Being made a cup of coffee in the morning so that by the time I'm dressed it's at just the right temperature. Unfortunately here, if I want coffee I have to microwave water and it tastes more like coffee granule soup. Just being offered a cup of coffee full stop. Having a warm bed which always has fresh sheets. My incredible friends, who, even though I am miles and miles away, still manage to keep in contact (some even every day). The support of my family whilst I'm here slaving away (I jest, again), who send me nice things in the post and write me letters and tell me how much they enjoy reading about my travels (your job is to lie to me to make me happy- keep up the good work). Knowing that I will go home this Christmas to presents and great food- oh, and heating that works. Encouragment; there's nothing quite like being told that 'you can do it!', whilst having a mental breakdown/quarter life crisis whilst writing an essay. Revising on my own in my little room here isn't quite the same. Then again, I'm grateful for the fact that I'm in the same boat as my friends here and we can eat chocolate, drink copious amounts of tea and cry together. (And have bonding group trips to the boulangerie). Sofas. I'm just going to put it out there- we sit on these huge great comfy things without even realising how bloody great they are. I have no sofa here, thus I have developed a new found appreciation. Being able to run across the road, or walk 10 minutes from my house, to see a friend. A plane journey and £100 later doesn't quite cut it. Mostly, I'm thankful for the fact that I have such wonderful people around me, without whom, I would not have been able to embark on such an exciting journey.

8774956

And most of all, I am grateful for Mean Girls. What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment